By Joe Duarte and Joseph Lee, Co-CEOs of InnoCaption
Today’s press release formally announcing InnoCaption’s year of major milestones in 2020 is encouraging us to take a step back and be grateful for such an innovative year where we have been able to serve so many in the deaf and hard of hearing community.
To quickly recap, in 2020 we:
- Increased our active users by 65% and saw our average call volume more than double! To keep up with the rising demand in calls and users, we also doubled our pool of stenographers, who provide live captioning assistance.
- Were granted conditional certification by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to provide fully automatic Internet Protocol Captioned Telephone Service (IP CTS) for deaf and hard of hearing users using Automated Speech Recognition (ASR) technology
- Launched DeskView to enable users to view captions from their phone mirrored on desktop devices, making conference calls more accessible.
- Added the ability to generate captions of Spanish phone calls through ASR. We are working hard to roll out support for more languages in 2021, so stay tuned!
- Created a spam filter to help mitigate scammers from taking advantage of our deaf and hard of hearing users,
The FCC’s certification of our ASR feature in December was a huge milestone for InnoCaption and a culmination of years of R&D efforts, testing with users, and proactive communication with the FCC. Our team presented various technical details of our service to the FCC, as well as the caption quality rating data that we had accumulated over a year of user trials.
We simply could not have accomplished such a successful 2020 without our supportive, loyal user community. Our users played an integral role in our growth with all of the call quality ratings and direct feedback provided to us on how our app could be more useful to their specific circumstance, accessibility needs, and journey.
We also want to take a moment to acknowledge how our team has successfully managed through the pandemic and the shift to a fully virtual environment. In fact, with all of the video conferencing we have been able to leverage in 2020, our global team spanning from East Coast, to West Coast and Korea feels even more connected than before. That level of collaboration, focus, and dedication will enable us to scale efficiently and make 2021 our best year yet!
Whether you are a user of InnoCaption, an employee or just like to turn to our website for helpful information, we sincerely appreciate your support and thank you for allowing InnoCaption to be a resource for you day in and day out.