Phone calls are a notoriously difficult listening environment for people who have hearing loss. This led us to explore situations, attitudes and levels of effort and fatigue associated when making calls with and without our innovative real-time captioning app.
We worked with a team of leading audiology research professionals to develop an online survey of new users to see where and how smartphone calls were being made, how these calls impacted their quality of life, and if, three months later, InnoCaption helped improve their listening experience. Rigorous quantitative and qualitative research methods were used to ensure the authenticity and reliability of the data collected.
- Only 59% of respondents reported using their smartphone “frequently” before using InnoCaption. This number jumped to 89% three months later after using InnoCaption.
- Before using InnoCaption, 62% of respondents said they experienced considerable listening fatigue when making calls with their smartphone. This number dropped to only 14% after they started using InnoCaption.
- Prior to using InnoCaption, 66% of respondents said that they had to put in considerable effort when speaking on their smartphones. Following the use of InnoCaption, only 19% of respondents reported that speaking on their smartphones required a high level of listening effort.
- The majority of respondents expressed frustration, anxiety, and feeling discouraged when using their smartphones without InnoCaption.
- After three months, very few respondents (between 9% and 14%) said they were frustrated, stressed, or discouraged after they started using InnoCaption. Instead, they overwhelmingly reported feeling confident, happy, and content when using InnoCaption.
The survey took a deeper look into captioning impact based on the severity of hearing loss and situations most important to people with hearing loss. To view all of the research findings, download the full report.